Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Soap Box Art


So today was a much more eventful day than I had planned.  I had planned on getting the kids out of the house.  We had planned on going to the library since we haven't been in a while.  My oldest was protesting because he wanted to play video games.  Tough luck, bud.  What I didn't realize was that today was story time at our local library!  I used to have a calendar but due to sickness, bad weather, and the fact that mom just plain forgot it existed, we had never made it to more than a couple of parties and no story times (not super mom behavior, shame on me).  Well today, by accident, we finally made it!  And I kinda wish we hadn't. 

The story time was fine.  My oldest had a great time, even though the theme was getting ready for kindergarten.  He repeatedly reminded the librarian, "But I'm not going to kindergarten 'cuz I'm not big enough yet."  They read three stories.  My youngest never really checked in, which is to be expected, but then my three year old started tearing up the foam block mat halfway through.  He sat with me for the rest of the time while my one year old went around to all the different girls she met, bent down right in their faces, and squealed "Hi!" as loud as she could.  I thought it was downright cute but I could tell by the librarian's face that she did not share my sentiment! 

Finally!  Story time was over and we all enjoyed it.  Onto crafts.  I heard "crafts" and my danger antennae shot up.  You see, where I'm from "crafts" is a dirty word.  It may seem extreme but let me explain.  I have taught infants and toddlers and preschool for around ten years.  I have a degree in Chiild and Family Development and we would often go to training seminars.  It's a relatively new school of thought now that I think about it but since this idea was drilled into our heads it's been kind of a no-brainer to me.  The idea is that process-based art is much more beneficial than product-based art projects.  Think about way back when you were in art class.  The teacher would display some glorious creation and we, as fifth and sixth graders and even younger, would have to try our best to duplicate what this grown-up had just made.  I hated hated hated art class.  If there were a class (outside of P.E) that could make me feel like dirt it was art.  It didn't help that my mom, big sister, and little sister were amazing artists in their own right.  I couldn't even draw straight stick people.  Mine all looked like they had the palsy.  Back on subject. 

Product-based art is simply the idea that art is about what is made in the end.  That there is a certain right and wrong way to make things, to use materials.  Color by numbers, stay in the lines, your flowers must be "real" colors, not black or neon.  There is a plan that you must follow and your art must look as close to the plan as possible.  There is limited, if any, room for individual expression, or creativity.   
On the contrary, process-based art lends itself to the belief that we, as individuals, should be allowed to express ourselves through art in any way (safely, of course) that we see fit.  There is no finish line.  No comparison.  Art materials are provided by the teacher at an age appropriate level and the children are set free to create whatever their minds dream up.  It facilitates processing the emotions we feel and yet have no other way to express.  For young children that haven't yet learned to read or write, it provides an outlet for stress relief and a way to deal with emotions they are just getting to know.  My favorite thing as a kid was to zone out while I colored with one color, usually red, just back and forth on the paper until one side of the crayon went flat.  I didn't "make" anything but you can bet that the wheels inside my head were turning a mile a minute in some make believe land far away.  

 Now to today's art project.  It was a simple flower pot.  The flower pot was already made out of the end of an oatmeal box.  There were popsicle sticks.  You only got three.  There was a strip of paper with gardening tools to intricate for even the oldest child to cut out on their own although my oldest did a bang-up job if I do say so myself.  The instructions were to use the small cut out flowers to decorate the pots.  The big ones were to be glued onto the popsicle sticks.  The gardening tool pictures were supposed to be colored and cut out and glued to the pot.  There were strips of paper to be glued inside the pot and the lady showed hers and it was beautiful.  Of course it was.  How much time did she get to spend on it?  And she was an adult.  I tried to hold the flashbacks at bay as my children set to work.  Keep in mind, I know that my youngest isn't old enough to do this but my oldest probably can't accomplish this without my help either.  And that's part of the problem.  They have been presented with an impossible task and the "I can't's" start swirling in their brain. 

Bless my oldest.  He has been raised in a process environment long enough to know he doesn't give a hoot about how it's "supposed" to look.  He sets about putting the small flowers on sticks and gluing things every which way.  My poor three year old.  He likes other people to do things for him.  So this lady sitting beside him starts gluing his flowers together just the way they're supposed to be.  I had to pleasantly put a stop to it.  That's what surprised me the most.  The other parents.  Instead of stepping back and letting their kids make something they could call their own, a lot of them just took over.  I know they probably didn't even realize it but most of the kids were just watching their moms do the craft for them.  It was way above the kids' heads, after all.  My little crew had a hot mess on their hands for a finished product but it was definitely unique and they could say they did it all by themselves!  I actually had one of the ladies leading the group tell me my oldest was doing it wrong and that the little flowers were supposed to go there instead of there.  She was frowning! 

I guess I shouldn't get so frustrated over such a seemingly small thing but art is such a powerful, personal thing and it can be used to build confidence or break it down.  There's enough stuff in the world to break down my kids and I guess I just want them to feel like in a world where they are so small and so much is out of their control, at least they could choose where the flowers go on their darned flower pot! 

We'll probably go back.  They may not be excited to see us but it's language and arts and there are other kids there so we'll practice sitting to listen to stories and go make a huge "mess" at the art table.  And in a perfect world they'll help clean up too!

*edit*  I forgot to post a picture!  Only me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment