Thursday, May 23, 2013

2 Chronicles 11:11


I have been distracted by silly things like dragons, important events like Moore, Oklahoma, and my thoughts, which could go either way.  When I decided to undertake this idea of the 11:11 verses of the Bible, it was a whimsical, fun idea; a great way to get back into studying and delving into scripture.  What a chunk I bit off.  Add to it the fact that I still have daily life to contend with and my brain is pulled in just a few different directions at once. 

I'm in 2 Chronicles and the verse simply says "He strengthened their defenses and put commanders in them, with supplies of food, olive oil, and wine."  Well, now I have to find out who, what, when, where, why, and how.  Well, maybe not all of that but anyone that has kids who watch Busytown Mysteries will understand that I had to say that. 

With a little background I know the who is Rehoboam, Solomon's son, and he's the king of Judah.  The kingdom of Israel has spllit into Israel and Judah and Judah, I think, has the short end of the stick.  In chapter 10 we find out that Rehoboam isn't as wise as his fathers and listens to his buddies instead of his father's advisers who have seen a thing or two in their day.  When he becomes king after his father's death, the people come to him to ask him to lighten their load, they have labored long and hard to build Solomon's kingdom.  The elders tell him to be good to the people, but his buddies tell him to make life worse for them, presumably as a show of how "manly" he is.  Nice.  Now the kingdom splits and many of the tribes of Israel refuse to acknowlege him as king. 

Rehoboam knows he's in trouble but makes ready for war anyway.  Then we see in chapter 12 that Shishak, the king of Egypt is out to attack Jerusalem.  He captures all the  cities Rehoboam fortified and it specifically says that it's "because they had been unfaithful to the Lord" (12:2)  He's on his way to attack Jerusalem (where Rehoboam is) when a prophet named Shemaiah tells him that God is doing this because he has turned away from the Lord and led the people astray.  In 12:6 it says that Rehoboam and the leaders humbled themselves and the Lord had mercy on him because of it.  He was spared his life but the Egyptians took the gold, the "treasures of the temple of the Lord and the royal palace".  Basically the opposite of the lottery. 

Here's the deal.  This could go so many ways, so many lessons.  Listen to your elders.  They didn't live that long by being stupid.  If you're king, your buddies will always tell you what you want to hear.  Accountability is having someone call you out on stuff and actually listening to them.  Rehoboam wasn't about that.  He was about pride and showing off how big his pinky was.  Read it!  10:10!  But Rehoboam's pride didn't just cost him.  It cost his people their lives, and all the things his father had built up before him.  Granted they were just things.  At least in the end God was still with him.  The other thing is, it didn't matter how fortified Rehoboam's cities were.  It doesn't matter how tough our act is or how much stuff or excuses we hide behind or whatever it is that we use as a sheild between us and God.  God will get through to us one way or the other.  I guess it depends on whether or not we learn the hard way.  Stubborn and prideful, or willing to listen.  I can tell you more often than not I fit into the stubborn and prideful group.  Maybe that's why I picked that up.  Rehoboam did make some good choices.  He didn't attack Jeroboam(11:4).  He split up his sons (11:23).  He finally repented. 

If you got something out of this, good.  If I bored you to tears, sorry.  If you got something different than me, I'd love to hear it and if you disagree or I screwed up, you can tell me that too.  Just be nice.  I'm not a professional bible scholar and I don't want to screw this up but just sharing.  Maybe the next book will be more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment